Monday, April 6, 2009

GASOLINE

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Did you buy Dame Darcy's new graphic novel, Gasoline yet!? What are you waiting for!? I finally got my copy and I can't put it down! I was reading a really great interview she did with Jared Gold of Black Chandelier fame, and she said she wanted the design of her book to be like old-timey illustrated novels like Alice in Wonderland or the Wizard of OZ series. Mission accomplished...the quality of the book is marvelous...it's a hardcover and the text and colorful illustrations are printed on really nice thick paper! Timeless...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

"In a post-apocalyptic world, the search for precious gasoline pits a family of orphaned witches against conniving nihilists who lurk in the decaying urban sprawl. The family must learn to shed a life of materialism and adopt new, alternative means of living in order to survive. Written and illustrated by artist Dame Darcy, Gasoline is a fantastical and eco-conscious gothic tale of danger, heartbreak, and the perseverance of magic and love."

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Dame Darcy’s published works include graphic novel series Meat Cake (Fantagraphics Books) and The Illustrated Jane Eyre (Penguin). In addition to her published works she creates all kinds of other art like drawing, painting, animation, crafts, sewing, doll making, ect.. She's a professional Witch and offers services such as Tarot, Palm Readings, Spell Consultations, and other misc. Hocus Pocus! And she is also the frontwoman of the dark wave/sea shanty band called Death by Doll!

1 comment:

Penelope said...

Great cover!

I wanted to drop a note to tell you I very much enjoyed looking through your Tumblr, I can't believe I didn't know about this amazing site! In thanks, I remembered to give you this link:

http://www.crossroads.wild.net.au/silkmilk.htm

It's a friend of a friend, he does some great stuff and I thought it would be your type of thing. It's really only the sort of thing you'd find online if you knew where it was, so I'm assuming you've not seen it!

Take care and keep being inspiring!