Sunday, October 25, 2009

Halloween Countdown!!!

Halloween is almost here! My friend Stephen is throwing a super fancy, invite only, Masquerade Party at his boutique, Bonnie & Clyde's. Absinthe will be served...danger! Stephen actually hired me to read the Tarot, so basically I get paid to go to a fabulous party! The theme is "The Masque of the Red Death" (1842) a short story by Edgar Allan Poe and later made into a movie starring Vincent Price. The story follows Prince Prospero's attempts to avoid a dangerous plague known as the Red Death by hiding in his abbey. He, along with many other wealthy nobles, has a masquerade ball within seven rooms of his abbey, each decorated with a different color. In the midst of their revelry, a mysterious figure enters and makes his way through each of the rooms. When Prospero confronts this stranger, he falls dead. Stephen is actually creating 7 vignettes with live models, to reenact a modern "Masque of the Red Death" tale.



It's a dress to impress occasion! Full costumes are optional, but masks are required! I realize the story of "The Masque of the Red Death" is set to the Renaissance period, but I may go with the Victorian or Elizabethan Era. I'm leaning towards the Elizabethan Era! The only thing I'm certain about is that I'm wearing all (or mostly) black and a Venetian Plague Doctor Mask. Some inspirations...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

11 comments:

Mia Araujo said...

wow! sounds amazing! Please post pics of your costume :)

Brialee said...

How wickedly cool is this?!! I'm totally jealous..always wanted to go to a masquerade! Please post pics of the event so we can all drool!!

Lady Lavona said...

yes! I'll definitely post pics!

tamerajane said...

can i come!? we're just going to curl up and watch witchy movies and harness our powers for monday's dia de los muertos procession...

take lots of photos, yes yes!!!

Lancerika said...

The Elizabethan Era inspiration fancy
will be a one of a kind experience..
wish to be there at that magical moment..

Nicomi Nix Turner said...

Love that movie!!!
"Do you know how a falcon is trained my dear? Her eyes are sewn shut. Blinded temporarily, she suffers the whims of her God patiently."

Weeee!

Anonymous said...

HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE!
TAKE MANY PICTURES TO SHARE

Anonymous said...

The smell of death is in on my breathe; Halloween is finally upon us... Positive vibes to you and yours this Halloween!
Respect~☠
FMI

Anonymous said...

"The ghosts of all things past parade,
Emerging from the mist and shade
That his them from our gaze,
And full of song and ringing mirth,
In one glad moment of rebirth,
Again they walk the ways of earth,
As in the ancient days. " --1910

Wishing you a most blessed Samhain, Lady L!! :)

--kate
(And yes, do post pics of the festivities - it sounds amazing!)

Brian Aldrich said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who loves EYES WIDE SHUT!

Unknown said...

oh man, I'm dying of curiosity, I hope there will be pics!!