Saturday, March 8, 2008

Little Haunted House on the Prairie

I want to tell you about one of my favorite Etsy shops, Mon Petit Fantome The aesthetic is Gothic American Folk. Like if Dorothy Gail from Kansas was a goth chick. Or if the Addams Family lived in the early 19th Century West...Little Haunted House on the Prairie! The country style of the early 19th Century period was relatively simple compared to the Victorian styles of the era because prairie women didn't have access to as much in the way of lace and decoration as the East and West Coast women did. I adore everything in this Petit Fantome's shop...check it out! If you like something you better scoop it up, things go so quickly! I LOVE this silhouette...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And these cute little owl pillows!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And this fancy black hooded capelet...SOLD!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Fantome behind the curtain is a cool fellow named Chad Merritt. He also makes lovely ghostly atmospheric noise for melancholy days with bandmate Tracy Uba. The project is called St. Mary's. Listen HERE! After a little chat with Chad, I found out he used to live in Chicago, just blocks away from me...small world! My old neighborhood is called Ukranian Village. Anyway, it occured to me that he must have named the band after St. Mary's Catholic Church on Augusta Blvd. I used to live right across the street. The head priest would parade around the block with a procession of church go-ers on Saint's days and Easter...while singing and playing odd instruments, like bells and the accordian. I miss the Church bells on Sundays...

P.S. Chad, if you are reading this...I hope you'll make a Raven silhouette soon!

1 comment:

Uncommon Objects Blog said...

Thanks so much for the showcasing my work!
I will certainly work on a raven silhouette.
Thanks again!
xo,
Chad