Friday, March 21, 2008

Prada does CoCoRosie

Well if you haven't heard, the premiere of Prada's "Trembled Blossoms" was the talk of Fashion Week 2008 NY. Prada's new collection is inspired by the magickal, musical, surrealist sister act...CoCoRosie. Check out this animated promotional video with music by CoCoRosie shown at the Premiere...HERE. It's really cool until the Saytr gives the Nymph a handbag!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
First, I should mention I LOVE LOVE LOVE CoCoRosie! But I don't think I feel so good about this collaboration...don't get me wrong...the whole collection is gorgeous...but that's because CoCoRosie rocks...not Miuccia Prada! Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I would much rather have seen them start their own private label, collaborating with some cool indie designers...something a little more street. Or even something bigger but still independent like Gwen Stafani's L.A.M.B. Or hooking up with visionary designers like Jean Paul Gaultier, Vivian Westwood, or Ann Sui would have been really cool. But these shoes and stockings...they are fabulous...aren't they?Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Is this IT for CoCoRosie? I mean Prada will go on to rip off someone else's style... But will CoCoRosie be able to re-invent themselves in a fresh non-commercial way?

Earlier this year FAFI, one of my favorite graffiti artists from France signed with MAC Cosmetics...MACFAFI. Prior to that she linked up with LeSport as well. Don't get me wrong, it's all super cute in a Hello Kitty sort of mass produced way and I love MAC, but...! My nieghbor had a FAFI messenger bag and I was so shocked... I was like "Oh my God is that FAFI!?" She was like "umm, I don't know what it is, I got it on clearance at Filene's Basement." I have to admit, that kinda killed it for me.

What would you do? Sell out or forge your own path to fame and fortune? I believe in Happy Mediums!

No comments: