Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Phrenology

Phrenology is the Occult science which studies the relationships between a person's character and the morphology of the skull. It is a very ancient object of study. The first philosopher to locate mental faculties in the head was in fact Aristoteles.
Several typologies have been defined, linking physionomy with character. The study of the face, physiognomony, has been particularly studied by the 18th century.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

In the early 19th century, Phrenology gained a rapidly growing interest. The Victorian period saw the emergence of Phrenological parlours which were closer to astrology, chiromancy, and the like, than to real scientific characterology.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

You can always find porcelain Phrenology busts on ebay like the one pictured below...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But look what I found, I love it! http://www.thehomeport.com/
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 comments:

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

I looove your space here! Loooook at all of these treasures!!! Wonderful!!

Lady Lavona said...

Thank you Miss! I love visiting your neck of the woods too! xo

Diane Irvine Armitage said...

Wow - I LOVE your blog! You are my kind of person :-) Loved the taxidermy post. I've seen those gorgeous grotesques before and they are amazing. I'm adding you to my favorites and will check back often!