Monday, April 27, 2009

Smells like a Gypsy up in here!

It's time for a new fragrance! I've been rockin' the same scent for too long...so it's time for a change! I've been wearing a bit of Vanilla oil mixed with a dab of Amber or Sandalwood resin. I need something lighter for Spring/Summer I want to try this perfume by Raffy called American Gypsy! "A perfectly harmonized floral oriental made of the finest essences with tropical top notes, a floral heart with a gentle jasmine middle note and a soft and sensual woody vanilla finish." hmm...sounds enticing!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

During my early High School years...I drenched myself in Dior's Poison! All that all changed when I walked into a Head Shop for the first time! I discovered Perfume Oils! I quicky converted to a perfume solid called Krishna Musk and experimented with many other "hippie" oils after that. Shortly after high school, my boyfriend at the time bought me a bottle of Calvin Klein's Eternity. I guess that's what he wanted me to smell like...he loved it...so I wore that to death for at least three years. After we broke up, I tried out Amarige by Givenchy...it smelled sooo good on a friend of mine, but didn't seem to mix well with my body's chemistry...so I switched back to perfume oil...this time Egyptian Musk, that one really seemed to get a rise out of people...it's so ghetto fabulous! Sometimes I would just add a few drops of Ylang Ylang to my bath water if I wanted a light scent. Then this Rastafarian guy started coming into the club I worked at selling quality attars, oils, and resins... so I started buying real Sandalwood, Oud, and Amber. All which have been loved and treasured for thousands of years, by mystics and romantics alike. Lovers use it as an aphrodisiac. Oud is proclaimed as a aid to spiritual meditation. I lost contact with him though...and now my supply of Oud is gone! I've tried the Rich Hippie line, which is lovely but fades into an alcohol scent after a few hours, might just be my body chemistry's though. I've also tried various blends from the cult perfumers Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab...which is totally hit or miss, I reccomend ordering samples first! A few years ago I fell in love with another perfume oil line called Sage Perfume...each fragrance corelates a gemstone fragrance with each month, they all smell soooo good! I bought Carnelian (tart tangerine, sparkling pink grapefruit, luscious blood orange, juicy mandarin and tropical mango and papaya) but I want them all! You can purchase the lovely vanity bottle or the carry along, roll-on bottle! I will be ordering again soon!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I'm also coveting this Frankincense/Myrrh/Rose Maroc oil by Regina Harris...I love the bottle! "This is a decadent and resinous perfume oil filled with the scents of rituals both sacred and profane ~ of imagined opium dens and warrior pirate queens, of gilded mosques and ancient religious ceremonies. Rich, thick and dark as an Arabian night, Harris built her creation around the ceremonial incense resins of frankincense and myrrh, while the costly and precious "oil of passion", rose maroc, adds a rose-tinged spice and deep honey accord." Wowza...I want it!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I'm also totally intrigued with this Gypsy Water by Byredo! (This one will have to go on my Wishlist though, because I can't bring myself to throw down $195 for a bottle of perfume!) "Gypsy Water is a homage paid to gypsies, thanks to the artistic director's fascination for Romany culture. It was conceived of as "a fictional glamorization of this lifestyle filled with mystical woods and earthy influences." It features top notes of bergamot, lemon, pepper and juniper berries; middle notes of incense, pine needles and orris; and base notes of amber, vanilla and sandalwood."

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Has anyone tried CB I Hate Perfume? I hear good things... What do you wear...please share!

15 comments:

Krista said...

On lazy days when I go nowhere, I just spritz on this very inexpensive white tea Healing Garden body mist but, its very light, crisp and clean and I love it actually. When I go out I use Burberry Brit at the moment.

WhistlinGypsy said...

I've just discovered pink pepper oil- it is fresh and peppery... haven't quite got the blending down yet as it is a vanisher. Working on it with the bergamont and pine... lovely stuff.

Uncommon Objects Blog said...

Ooooh perfums...my weakness :) I have a bottle of CB I Hate Perfume's Rose/Black Tea, and it is heaven!! I highly recommend them.

Stella Dora von Swineburg said...

Since becoming disabled and pretty much a hermit artist, I don't wear anything now, but I think this post may change that! Everything you mention sounds delicious. I too used to wear Egyptian Musk and got the same reaction from people....I think I still have some tucked away somewhere.

Savannah Dempsey said...

I am a massive fan of the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab oils. All the oils are vegan and have none of those creepy chemicals that give people headaches. To quote the website:

"We specialize in formulating body and household blends with a dark, romantic Gothic tone. Our scents run the aesthetic gamut of magickal, pagan and mythological blends, Renaissance, Medieval and Victorian formulas, and horror / Gothic-themed scents. "

kali flower said...

way to feed my fragrance addiction! now, i will have to buy ALL OF THESE!!!!

Anonymous said...

i have a variety of essential oils which i switch up, depending on the day's little nuances.
on my perfume vanity is: Lavender Oil, Patchouli Oil, Sunflower Oil, a wonderful oil called "Witching Hour" made by Etsy Seller "Velvet Moon Bathery", and some Eucalyptus oil, which i use mostly for medicinal perposes (great for clearing the sinuses)
Happy smelling!
Also, congratulations on a truly outstanding blog! It has exposed me to alot of cool things, and i check it regularly.
peace

spacedlaw said...

If you want something a little out of the way (and in the gypsy sphere) you could try Dzing! from Artisan Parfumeur.

Paul Baxendale said...

Christopher Brosius' first company, Demeter (of dirt, grass, and tomato fame) make what is perhaps the only scent I will ever wear-- its called Holy Smoke and holy moly is it nice- a smoky, slightly spicy resinous blend-- its liquid incense!

Rose said...

For years I have been collecting oils from Morocco made by a family
called Madini. It's distributed by
Talisman. Check out the website for more info.

Rose said...

Lavona,I just revisited Madini website
and they sell Oud!

Lady Lavona said...

Oh Paul...I forgot about Demeter!!! Love their fragraces!

And also...Velvet Moon Bathery...I've been wanting to try that line! Love the packaging!

Rose!!! Thank you for the OUD hook up!

Thanks for sharing everyone! xo Lavona

Susan Shaw said...

I wear Ysatis for everyday, but learning how to make my own is a much more fascinating journey. I like the ancient fragrances like chypre (ysatis is a modern variation of the chypre family), and it is fun to play with the basic ingredients and see how the subtle differences in one or two drops of essential oil can make a huge change in the scent.

Amanda said...

I once purchased a tiny vile of an intoxicating fragrance oil from a woman selling all sorts of generic college stuff at my university community center. I have no idea what it is, and it is completely unlabeled, but I love it. I've stopped wearing it because I have very little left. I keep hoping to encounter it again somewhere...

Unknown said...

those are some nice finds! I have been making perfumes- check them out if you are still looking for a unique scent- www.forstrangewomen.com